How to store the pyrotechnics correctly.
A week after San Juan, the firecrackers that we did not serve during the festival, are waiting in a drawer until next year to finally use them.
The pyrotechnics, but, although they may seem harmless, kept alone, could become a danger if not stored properly.
It is very important to follow the recommendations of the manufacturers, not only to protect us from possible accidents but also so that the firecrackers do not spoil.
Why is good storage important?
Firecrackers are objects that are very sensitive to external conditions. If we don’t keep them correctly, they can:
- Being turned on due to high temperatures or friction with other objects.
- They may be unusable if they are kept in a damp place since the powder in the wick will deteriorate.
- They can also become unusable if they break or bend when in contact with other objects.
- If left in sight, children could misuse and be injured.
How to store pyrotechnics
So, we know that keeping pyrotechnics properly is not only good for firecrackers but also for the safety of our house and our family.
Here are some tips on how to properly store the pyrotechnics:
- Keep the remaining firecrackers inside the original box. If the box is not available, store it in some other cardboard box. Do not keep them in metal boxes, as these are great conductors of heat and could ignite firecrackers.
- Keep them in a dry place, away from moisture.
- Also, store them away from any object that can generate sparks, such as lighters, cigarettes, plugs ... or any element that can generate heat such as stoves or ovens.
- It is important to emphasize also that if you have tried to light a firecracker and it has not exploded, do not put them back in the box! Do not take it, wait about 30 minutes and pour water on it.
- Keep firecrackers somewhere inaccessible to children and pets.
- Do not keep many firecrackers together in the same place, if it were to turn on any fire or if there was a fire nearby, the explosion would be large.
Now that we know how to correctly store the fireworks, it will help us to save not only the occasional accident but also reduce the cost of buying new firecrackers for next year.