Get your house ready for the winter
Preparing the house for storms that usually come during the winter is essential to avoid major problems. That's why from Cis Serra we give you some tips to ensure your house in the face of rain and wind.
In order to deal with these times, it is essential to:
- Isolate windows and doors well: Good isolation of the entrances and exits of a house can be more important than a good heating system. Having good isolation allows us to keep the heat indoors for long. This not only allows us to be more comfortable but also save on heating costs as we do not have to make excessive consumption. In fact, it is estimated that a home can reduce its spending by 30% with good isolation. This also translates to a lower impact on the environment.
- Keep the gutters free and clean: When being out of sight, we often forget that the exterior gutters of the house are very vulnerable to storms. Especially when the temperatures are very low since they can be frozen and therefore obstruct the flow of water.
- Monitor the pipes: Especially in those areas where there is no heating or those that are more exposed to the cold, special attention must be paid to the temperature of the pipes. In order not to freeze, it is convenient to wrap the pipes with insulating elements such as foam, plastic for piping or heating tape. The last one must be connected to electricity.
- Protect against fires: During winter, it is common to use wood stoves or electric stoves that can be short-circuited or cause small fires. That's why it is very important to install updated fire systems. At CiS Serra we make personalized and efficient installations. We are also connected to the security forces to be able to notify them quickly if there is an accident.
- Adapt security systems: There are areas of Catalonia, as in the Pyrenees where temperatures below zero can easily be reached. For the most vulnerable groups at low temperatures, such as children or the elderly, it may be vital to maintaining an adequate temperature in the home. At CiS Serra we have thermostats connected to the alarm system that detects when the temperatures are too low and send us a signal. This can also be very useful to prevent the freezing of pipes or other facilities.
We hope these tips will help you spend a warmer and more comfortable winter in your home.